Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My letter to Games Workshop

Hola Bear Cubs! Just wanted to share with you the letter that I sent to Games Workshop today, regarding their pricing structure. I felt that I had no right to bitch and moan if I didn't do anything about it, so I wrote them a letter explaining my feelings and position.


----------------------------------------------------------



May 18, 2011

Dear Games Workshop;

I am writing you as a result of your recent release of your pricing list that will take effect at the end of this month. I must ask you to respectfully reconsider your current business practices and pricing structure. 

As a recent graduate of a well respected College of Business, graduating with a Bachelor of Science of Business Administration with a major in General Management, I have been studying business strategies and working case studies for a significant amount of the last few years. Now, let me state that I am no expert of your business model, but as an outsider looking in, it seems that your model is short-sighted, with little thought into the long haul.

A business cannot sustain itself by constant price hikes and alienating their customer base, which whether or not you are cognizant of it, is happening to your business and your customer base. I understand that due to inflation, prices will fluctuate, but I do not believe this to be the case with your pricing structure.

Let me give you a little background on myself, so you can better appreciate my position. I started this hobby of mine back in 1998, right after the release of Warhammer 40,000 3rd Edition. I walked into your Games Workshop store that was in Opry Mills Mall, located in Nashville, TN. At the age of 9 years old, I was introduced to my beloved Space Marines and the wonderful universe that your company has created. I have spent the last 13 years buying, selling, collecting, painting, and enjoying the wonderful world of Warhammer 40,000. 

Over the years, I have owned no less than 8 armies, currently owning 4. I also have 2 Warhammer Fantasy armies, and own most of your video games that have been released by THQ. I am active in my 40k community, am a member of a local gaming group that has membership stretching across East and Middle Tennessee, am heavily involved in the Tennessee tournament circuit, and write a 40k web blog (www.ifitwearspowerarmor.blogspot.com).

Needless to say, I am a loyal and faithful customer of yours, forsaking all other tabletop games in the process. I have defended your actions in the past, as I felt and still feel that your product is top notch and superior to all others on the market. You support your product well and the current state of the game, 5th Edition, is the most fun system I have played. That is why this next part pains me as much as it does.

Starting today, I will begin to sell off my armies, and will no longer be buying your product. I feel that as a loyal customer, I have been misled and treated unfairly. Your current prices, in my personal opinion, are quite high as is, as my last army cost upwards of $500 just to have 2000-2200 points’ worth of models.

With the coming of your new prices, I feel that it will become too expensive to start a new army or continue to support all of my armies. For me, your prices will break through the ceiling of where I feel I can justifiably purchase plastic models.  I feel that the new “Finecast” line you are introducing is a great step for your company, but the prices are not fair. Your company informed the consumers that you were dropping your metal line due to the cost, and that you were looking for more cost effective methods.

You then find this new material, and want to charge us more than we paid for the metal range? I feel that your company has insulted my intelligence as a customer. I write this letter not out of anger, but out of love for the world you have created. I want nothing more than for Warhammer 40,000 and Games Workshop to be around for many years to come. But I cannot continue to stand by and watch you treat your customers with disrespect and negligence. As I have previously stated, unless there are changes made, I will no longer be a Games Workshop customer, and will begin to look elsewhere for my tabletop and wargaming needs.

Sincerely,

Jake Bussey

Loyal Customer since 1998

---------------------------------------------------------

If you feel similar, I would encourage you to email Games Workshop at Custserv@games-workshop.com and tell them how you feel. Make your presence known!




-Update- hey guys, just to clear things up, the Blog ain't goin nowhere, and neither am I, so don't worry, I will still be updatin the blog, And I ain't sellin off ALL my armies, and will still be playing, I just won't be buying any new armies and will be playin what i got, so don't fear, The Grizz is still here!

No comments:

Post a Comment